What is It?
Cast iron vault lighting was originally patented by Thaddeus Hyatt in 1845. Using modular, cast-iron panels with clear glass lenses, vault lights are set into sidewalks in front of building storefronts to allow for natural light to reach the basement areas of the property. Glass prisms later replaced the traditional lenses in order to refract more light.
Old vault light installations show deterioration with several indicators. The glass lenses become cracked, broken or lost and are often filled in or covered with other materials to prevent leaking from rainwater. The cast iron panels, exposed to the environment without protective
sealants, begin to corrode, and often there is evidence of shifting due to the expansion and contraction of surrounding asphalt and concrete materials over time.
Our Vault Lighting Projects
The images below portray some of our work in vault light restoration and repair projects. Click any image to open in carousel view.